Healthy tablet sales further mature a new mobile device category

By September 25, 2012 25 comments
professionals working on a tablet

With higher forecast numbers than expected, tablets will prove to be an even more essential connected device choice. Defining aspects of tablets stand to change as they become more popular, as will their accessibility to hopeful owners.

Despite an economy still in recovery, tablet sales are expected to increase even more than previously estimated. Consumers are still purchasing tablets in this newer device category, particularly Apple’s iPad. In the most recent forecast from the International Data Corporation, the worldwide tablet market may swell to 117.1 million units, a number that the IDC increased from 107.4. For 2013, the IDC forecast increased from 142.8 million units to 165.9 million, and for 2016 estimates reach 261.4 million. But the tablet market has other changes in its future, due to its nascent status.

The market won't diversify

In the next few years, the market is expected to shift but not diversify, with Windows tablets taking some market share, Android losing some, and other operating systems all but disappearing. In 2011, 57.2 percent of the 70.9 million tablets sold worldwide were iPads, a number that remains fairly constant in the forecasts - 60 percent in 2012, and 58 percent in 2016. Android devices made up 38.9 percent of total tablets in 2011, and is expected to decline to 30.5 percent in 2016. Windows tablets currently make up about 1 percent of 2011 market share, and could grow to 11 percent by 2016.

More tablets, less eReaders

Despite the optimistic adjustments made for tablets, the IDC lowered them for eReaders. By IDC parameters, the device category had a disappointing first half of the year, and has been impacted by the availability of tablets that retail for under $200. Because of these factors, eReader sales may wilt from the 2011 level of 27.7 million units to 23.6 million. These changes indicate a higher demand for multipurpose devices, and a market for lower-cost tablets at the expense of this less versatile category.

Page top

Yeah this is true the ereaders are reducing through tablet, but i love my tablet device as I can use this device in every where what I could not use on my PC because it is not possible to carry a laptop everywhere but a lablet is carried easily. Defining Web

Submitted by Dyan Joy - on May 08, 2013 at 07:37 pm

Great, This specific net webpage is seriously thrilling and enjoyment to learn. I’m an enormous fan from the subjects mentioned.SEO Course KArachi

Submitted by SEO Course KArachi (not verified) - on May 29, 2013 at 11:25 pm

People (like me ) want to get the lasted technology and the most available facilities, So old version ultimately looses some customers, the companies should keep this issue in their mind while design and manufacturing. I also love my tablet, I can use it according to my needs. click here for more information

Submitted by Shahalam (not verified) - on June 01, 2013 at 03:18 pm

Good idea.But 1 question coming in mind.How many post you hae made till now and daily how many article you submit in your site? seo center karachi

Submitted by seo center karachi (not verified) - on June 04, 2013 at 08:45 am

the new tablets in market has created a great change in the mobile market. i got to know about a lot many details on the apps and services on tablet phone. good stuff has been shared and you have treid making it easy and crisp as far as possible. thank you for the good share.
read more here

Submitted by magi (not verified) - on July 03, 2013 at 01:26 pm

Great blog you people have maintained there, I totally appreciate the work.
actividades para bebes

Submitted by actividades para bebes (not verified) - on July 08, 2013 at 09:36 pm

I would like to thank you for your nicely written post, its informative and your writing style encouraged me to read it till end. Thanks vision without glasses

Submitted by vision without glasses (not verified) - on July 30, 2013 at 11:53 am

Tablet and iPad can bring a new world in the mobile technology for us. I strongly appreciate this change. I can not agree with you with reduction of ereaders by the influence of these new devices. Rather than in most of the cases ereaders are increased. Movers Tampa

Submitted by Leo (not verified) - on August 13, 2013 at 05:38 pm

People like to make their life easier and comfortable , they are keen to get the new technology, Yeah , the tablet was the most common choice among the technology lovers as well as other people but orders are reduced by the influence of the tablet, iPad and more new devices. write essay for me

Submitted by Smith (not verified) - on August 14, 2013 at 07:06 pm

Your website is very chatty. It will be useful for all of us. You have done a work. I will come here again to check new updates Gatwick Airport Car Parking

Submitted by Gatwick Airport Car Parking (not verified) - on August 18, 2013 at 04:56 pm

Legal mentions © L’Atelier BNP Paribas